Tuesday, May 6, 2008

For Sale


What?? You're selling your house? Well, yes. The signs went up today. Why? Over the years, my parents have maintained the house that my grandfather had bought for my grandmother many years ago. I grew up in it, and lived in the in-law side of the house for about 7 years prior to buying our house. My sister and her family were residing in the big part of the house. My sister recently bought her own place, and so the discussion ensued about what to do with the house.

My parents approached us with the idea of us moving back to the house, or they were looking into selling it. We were just not ready to see the house go, too much sentimental value. So we considered our options. Though I love our new house, and we've done a lot to make it our own, the end decision was to sell and move back. It's only 2 towns over from where we are now, so it's not a big move. I mourned for our new house for a day or two, and then got over it.

Over the past couple of years, our experiences have taught us that life is too short to not take risks, make changes, and live each day to the fullest. Family is important to us, and we look forward to being able to spend our time with them. My parents will be in the in-law, Dan's mom is still staying with us in the house, and my brother lives next door. Most people would run from this combination, but as I said above, why? Our time that we have is so precious, and I look forward to my kids being able to have their grandparents so close. It was something that I had growing up, and it is some of my most favorite memories. It taught me at an early age how important family really is, and it is something I look forward to passing on to our kids. I look forward to my parents being able to enjoy my kids, and having my kids have that rich experience of being surrounded by and accountable to a large extended family.

Are we crazy? Maybe. Are we boring? Never.

So if you haven't been over to see our new house, you better hurry. It's hopefully soon to be our old house.

3 comments:

Rob and Vanessa said...

Wow, that's an amazing opportunity for you. I hope it sells fast and everything comes together quickly.

Unknown said...

I'm so excited for you guys!!!

Dave and Betsy's Blog said...

Dave and I were just discussing how much we love your old house, soon to be old house. We're excited too for you and this opportunity to be close to family, while you can. We'll be praying that you get a great price and that the transition goes smooth.
Love you guys!