Sunday, May 18, 2008

Shipping up to Boston...


Some of you already know this story, but I came across these pics, and in the midst of the current Boston sports teams hype, I decided to share.

This past February, PC Connection held it's annual meeting at the Dome where Dan is the GM. Due to his position, Dan knew weeks ahead of time that they were actually bringing in Jonathan Papelbon as a surprise guest to boost the morale of their employees. So, the planning went into place. Dan invited my family to work security for the event. I don't remember why, but for whatever reason I declined. However, the night of the big event, I decided to swing down to the Dome to see how it was going. It was cold. I grabbed a sweater that I have literally had since my freshman year of college, hadn't even looked in a mirror since that morning, and headed out.

Little did I know, that when I got there, Papelbon had not yet arrived. So I watched the meeting for a while, and next thing I knew, Dan asked if I wanted to go over and meet "him".
Ok, I agree, but hadn't really prepared my appearance too well. I mean, I should know by now the wife of the Hampshire Dome GM should be presentable at all times. Kind of like the first lady, you know.

Well, we walked over to his limo, and he was getting ready to come into the building to make his appearance, so we decided to wait. I had asked Dan what he was like since Dan had spent a little time with him earlier. He basically said that instead of the dinner they had prepared him (and his twin brothers who accompanied him), he demanded he be brought to Wendy's. So this giant SUV limo drove through the quiet town and through the drive up window at the local square burger establishment. Then, Dan said he proceeded to make obnoxious comments, one being "where's the strippers?". Dan suspected he may have been enjoying some "beverages" prior to the event. So far I was beginning to lose my excitement of meeting him.

Long story short, after his appearance to the large group - in which he entered doing his famous jig to the old song "I'm Shipping Up to Boston", he met us backstage for some pictures and autograph signing. The picture is below. I'm the one wearing the 10 year-old brown paper bag for a sweater. The rest is my sister, her husband, Dan, my dad, and one other staff member. It's always exciting to have opportunities like that. Not much excitement happens around these parts. And I'm sorry if I've crushed any of you die-hards view of this guy.

No comments: