October 31st came early this year. About 6:15am the kids awoke, ready to carve pumpkins. So, we headed downstairs and began the process. Now, usually I go online and find really cool patterns to copy and carve. At this time of the morning, the kids got whatever was easiest. They didn't even care - they were just happy scooping out the seeds and making scary faces. Dan too.
That evening, we got a late start on trick or treating, but you're supposed to be up late on Halloween, right? We started out with no dinner because they were too excited to get into their costumes. We first stopped at grammy and grampa's then across the street to a little old lady (I think she's over 90 but still mows her yard with a riding lawn mower) to say hello. We went in and visited for a few minutes then, we packed up and headed to our old street to visit with our old neighbors. While chatting in their living room, they got their first customers of the night. To our surprise, they were two young girls dressed in all white as play boy bunnies. I really shouldn't say dressed. They were toting what appeared to be a one year old. I felt as though I should have covered the kids' eyes, or maybe Dan's, as I'm standing there in my bulky sweatshirt and baggy sweatpants, I thought Dan may have wished for a moment I bought such a costume.
So, on to the neighborhood that we visited last year. We seemed to have the street to ourselves and people started dumping their candy into the kids' pumpkins. I soon realized that since the last 3 stops we went inside the houses to visit, Zachary thought that was the norm, and tried pushing his way into the first few houses. He got the hang of it after we explained we only stay outside from now on. At one house, Dan and I were actually offered jello shots. That was different, "here's a candy for you kids, and here's one for you parents!" she said. We declined and headed on our way.

We then stopped at a local farm that has an annual-massive-pumpkin-carving fest, and took a look at the display. It's really a cool thing to see. I couldn't figure out how to take a picture of the glowing pumpkins without my flash, but you get the idea. Then we headed home to count our loot. I made sure the kids got a lot of Twix. I love those. I mean, I eat a majority of their candy. Just being honest.
No comments:
Post a Comment