Upon arriving at the ER, we were directed to a VERY small triage waiting room. As I entered the room, there were 2 others waiting. I figured out they were a couple, though I originally thought it was father and daughter team. At any rate, by the odor that filled the room, I was certain they hadn't bathed in some time, let alone washed their clothing. I quickly made a scan as to the nearest toilet. When you're already nauseated, smelling dirty bodies just isn't comforting. Thankfully, the nurse called them in and my mom opened the door to air it out. The next ER visitors arrived, and much to my chagrin, they reeked of alcohol and cigarette butts. I began to glare. It was my turn next, and I finally made it to the regular waiting room where there was more room to breathe. However, the smell of a skunk from the parking lot wafted into the area. Could it get any worse, I asked my sister? I shouldn't have said that.
They called me in to my room and began an IV fluid bag (which turned into 3 bags). They also started some IV Phenergan to take away the nausea. That's about last coherent thing I remember. I began having a severe reaction to the Phenergan almost instantly. I began screaming that I couldn't feel my legs, then I slipped away to another world. From what my mom and sister told me, I writhed around the bed, they had to put the rails up, I tried to rip out my IV and blood pressure cuff, my blood pressure was up then bottomed out, and I was making all kinds of facial grimaces. Sure enough, there is a rare, but possible side effect of the medication which I got: blurred vision, dizziness, confusion, blood pressure issues, and involuntary muscle movements. It lasted 3 hours. They were waiting for Dr. House to come in and treat this rare reaction. Just kidding. They were considering admitting me, but there were no beds in the hospital and they would have to transfer me to another hospital. I eventually began to settle down, and my mom and sister said they'd rather just take me home.
2 comments:
Holy Schiekies!!!! Only you Kim...what the??!?! As if the puking wasn't enough... Are you feeling better?? That virus sucks!!!
Bets
I am now feeling better. I did take me a good week, a week I will never get back, nor do I want to...And yes, I did get the flu shot. Nice.
Post a Comment